Monday, May 02, 2011

some thoughts on peace

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.


"Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be achieved through understanding."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


"Do not rejoice when your enemies fall, and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble..."
-Proverbs 24:17


I'd like to add the assurance that I am deeply grateful for the work of our military and continue to pray for the families affected by 9/11, and do share in some sense of relief. But I do not celebrate Bin Laden's death; I pray for a day when we will find a better way to peace than using the means used against us. As a person of faith, I am most concerned (always but especially now) with loving: loving the families of victims of 9/11, loving our remarkable men and women in the military and loving even those who wish us harm.

3 comments:

jlundewhitler said...

a fav quote of MLK, to be sure. The stars have seemed particularly obscured to me over the past 24 hrs. May our love grow. Thx friend.

Lynn said...

Thanks Whitney - I take great comfort in these thoughts on peace. A blog friend "Sage" is a Presbyterian minister in the upper mid west and wrote this post that I also found peace in:

http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2011/05/on-bin-ladens-death.html

Whitney said...

Thanks Lynn. Your friend Sage has some wonderful insight.