Friday, December 29, 2006

serenity now

-Telling stories and laughing around the campfire last night with my family. We went to our family hunting ranch in South Texas that my Great-Great-Grandfather bought in 1912. It's a serene and pristine place, that still has no electricity or running water. It's perfect for contemplation, reading and recharging.

-When arrowhead hunting with my parents (our land has a ton of Native American arrowheads on it), my Dad picked up a beautiful piece of petrified wood and said, "This would make a great paperweight...on a desk in South Africa." I've applied to study abroad next fall, either in South Africa or Cambridge, England. If I'm selected, my "paperweight" is coming with me.

-Eating venison stew cooked in a big pot over hot coals with fried potatoes and onions for lunch today. It's the traditional lunch at our hunting place, one that my Granddaddy always made. It was delicious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whitney, you may not remember me - I am an old member of FPC, Bryan,and I wrote you when you were in Ireland. The quote in your comment today about the nonsense of our days reminded me of something in an old Circle study book: "Joy is finally catching on to God's incredible sense of humor."
Charis and shalom,
Mary Hall

Dan Morehead said...

Everyone needs a paperweight.

Whitney said...

Hello Mary, I do remember you! Thanks so much for keeping in touch and reading. Love the quote.

Dan, you are right. Just think of how much happier a place the world would be if everyone had a paperweight. :)

Gareth said...

South Africa is in dire need of good Texan paperweights. Where are you thinking of going in SA? This is all rather exciting.

Whitney said...

:) It would be either Stellenbosch or Western Cape, but I'm not sure if Columbia will be sending anyone next fall. I've applied, and will just have to see. I can't seem to shake SA off!