Friday, August 29, 2008

sharing stories and soup

-The man next to me at the deli counter of the grocery store who ordered a half-pound of "the most rare roast beef you have." The woman at the counter made a face and then smiled, saying she wasn't a fan of rare meat. The man turned to me and explained, "My Grandfather taught me to like rare meat a long time ago."

-Going antique shopping with my Mom and enjoying all of the varied odds and ends, like old hats, jewelry, furniture and clothing. I love that each thing has a story and a history behind it. I ended up buying a gorgeous carpetbag clutch (for only $3!), and I love it. You know how I love antique bags.

-Cooking ribbolita (an Italian soup) and savoring the flavors of creamy white beans, salty pancetta, earthy herbs de Provence and tangy parmigiano reggiano cheese.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Whitney! I made Ribbolita a few months ago from this exact recipe. It was delicious. And I love the use for a parmesan cheese rind. Now I put them in the freezer for future use. :) Lynn

Whitney said...

Hi Lynn,
I've had so much fun reading your blog! It's great. Ribbolita is so tasty with the cheese rind in it. I think I was a bit crazy cooking something so warm in August in South Texas, but I'll definitely be making it in chilly Belfast!

Lynn said...

I have fun reading your blog, too. And I am looking forward to reading your posts from Ireland. I am so excited that it has all come together for you. It sounds like you are having wonderful family time right now.