Sunday, August 24, 2008

preach, sleep, wake, pray

-Attending presbytery to preach and be examined for ordination. I was a little nervous, but having my parents, sister and niece there helped a lot, as did having members of my CPM (Committee on Preparation for Ministry) there to encourage me. Two women from my CPM were especially kind, and told me they were excited about me returning to Ireland and my call. It was comforting to have one of them sit by me to tell me how much this blog meant to her right before I went up to preach.

-Lying in bed last night and trying to wrap my head around my being finished with the ordination process (other than my ordination service next Sunday). It has been such a long and demanding process and I can't believe I'm done. Needless to say, I slept beautifully.
-Grating fresh cinnamon into my coffee.
-Receiving a beatiful rosary and set of cards from my friend Amy. Amy used to be Catholic, and her family still is and we've had many conversations about the power of praying a rosary. I told her that I was wanting to give it a try because I have so many Catholic friends and family and really appreciate their faith. The card she sent with it had one really beautiful line:
"This little box is just another piece of equipment for the journey--and I know that journey is taking you to where your heart has been for a while."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whitney,

Google "anglican rosary" and you'll find several websites with suggestions about how to use the discipline of the rosary without necessarily using Marian-centered prayer. Although Marian-centered prayer is fine too. Just gives you some options.

You did so well yesterday! The Trinitarian reference at the end of your sermon was especially well done. And you handled the questions with poise and grace. I am so excited and grateful that you will be a minister and leader in our church!

Julie

Gareth said...

hey almost reverend whit! congrats on the visa, oredination process and all the exciting things ahead - i'll be following your progress with anticipation (and a bit of envy, considering you are off appeasing your wanderlust a bit)
peace my friend, thanks again for the glimpses!

Anonymous said...

Dear Whitney,

It was wonderful to have the honor and pleasure of being in the congregation for your sermon. Although it is still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that all my kids are now older than you were when I left the Girl Scout troop to raise them!
Congratulations!! Jay and I are going to do our best to be in Bryan on Sunday.

Love,
Kristie

Whitney said...

Thank you, Julie. I am so grateful for your support.

G: Great to hear from you! I've been following your progress as well, and I'd say you and julie moving down under also appeases wanderlust. It sounds like you have some great jobs!

Hi Kristie: Thanks so much! It was great to see you and the family. I can't wait to see more of the O'Boda clan on Sunday. :)

Peace,
Whitney