Sunday, August 17, 2008

oh, what fun

-Helping with my niece's baptism by preaching and leading prayers and blessings. I was the first woman to preach at the church and was so honored. The deacon leading the service (it's a Catholic church) was really casual and friendly and made me feel welcome and comfortable. He would start reading a liturgy, pause, and then hand me his book to continue it. It was a great time with all of the family.



-Seeing my friend Jen again. We were roomates in Belfast, and I haven't seen her in over a year, so I flew to Tulsa for a quick reunion. It was so fun to fit into familiar patterns of conversation after such a long time. I loved her place--with pictures from around the world, fresh flowers, a sunroom with french doors (in which I stayed), old wooden floors and a tiny red kitchen--it was just as vintage, quirky and traveled as she is.



-Escaping from the rain into a sort of bohemian wine bar heaven. Jen and I chatted over our $4 house reds and relaxed comfortably into the worn velvety furniture, with the sounds of The Godfather being broadcast from a t.v. in the back.


-A swirly wrought-iron arch intertwined with dark green leaves.



-Hanging out with my precious niece and seeing her really respond to me with smiles and giggles.

-Sitting on the beach and soaking up the Texas sun while reading The Dubliners by James Joyce. It made the descriptions of a cold, rainy Grafton Street feel so far away, and yet close by in my memory.


-A weekend at Port Aransas with my family spent relaxing on the beach, watching the Olympics and cheering, laughing and telling corny jokes and eating delicious seafood. With my flight to Belfast only 3 weeks away, these times are very precious.

No comments: