Thursday, July 02, 2009

isn't that something?




-Ian and Gina coming for a quick stay after getting back from Italy before flying out this morning. It was endearing to hear Ian clomping down the stairs saying "Whhhhhiiiittt!" and then he gave me a big bear hug. We didn't have much time at all, but it was wonderful to hear about their Italian adventures and just enjoy a great conversation with my morning coffee. After I said goodbye to them and they headed to the airport, I noticed my David Gray cd was playing "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye."

-Baking cookies for Summer Madness, the big youth camp that starts tomorrow. I love the process of baking cookies and watching them take shape. It's not ex nihilo*, but is still pretty cool.

-Making plans to catch up with good friends in Texas when I'm home in a few weeks.

--------
*Ex nihilo means "out of nothing" and is a doctrine describing God's creation of the whole world out of nothing. It's not a creationist doctrine by any stretch, it's just saying that God alone can make something out of nothing, in whatever way you might see that "something" coming into being. We can't--we have to use stuff to make stuff. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had one of those mugs when i lived in paris :o)

Stushie said...

I love your writing Whitney. You make me homesick for Scotland, too.

Ex nihilo is creationist though...but in a non-confrontational way.

Whitney said...

Catherine: how funny! It's from Wisebyse...

Stu: Thanks! I find that mainstream creationism often overlooks ex nihilo. I'm just aware that when you even mention creation the whole creationism/evolution debate emerges and I think ex nihilo is a much older doctrine--one that could be found in both, but is beyond such modern arguments.