Thursday, December 02, 2010

light moments

-The absolute joy of leading a Celtic Advent service at First Pres, Bryan and seeing so many supportive, familiar faces. They were eager to hear about my experiences in Belfast and engaged really well with the service. My great friend Angelina was the liturgist and we had such great fun leading worship together. During the service, we all lit candles as a sign of our commitment to walk in the peaceful light of Christ this Advent season and when people hesitated coming forward for a moment, Angelina smiled and impulsively waved her hand to beckon people forward. Everyone giggled and flooded forward. I would've loved to get a picture of the candles on the Table at the end, but fortunately I was too busy getting hugs from nearly every person as they left, including Bob Leslie who baptized both me and Angelina in that church and who was a big part of my ordination service there. What a wonderful gift. I also incorporated one of my favorite traditions from Fitzroy in Belfast where I worked: everyone blessing and sending one another at the end. We used a portion of St. Patrick's breastplate and it was communal and moving. I was so filled up by the experience of worshipping with them that it took me a while to fall asleep last night.

-Meeting up with my awesome cousin Bonnie who's a student at A&M at my favorite old haunt, Sweet Eugene's (along with Angelina and her friend). I've only ever hung out with Bonnie at family gatherings and so to see her in her element was fabulous. We all had the best time telling jokes and stories and talking about our favorite books and movies.

-Angelina's colorful and international-feeling apartment, including the most delightful little Christmas tree. She was so gracious to put me up there for the night after the service.


-A blissful morning spent getting a great haircut, enjoying coffee and a good read at a quirky cafe and strolling around downtown Bryan that's vibrant with its old buildings and new personality.

No comments: