Saturday, November 15, 2008

purple broccoli and little ears


-Walking to work on an unusually warm day and seeing Maureen sweeping her front porch. I stopped to say hello, was invited in for coffee, and decided that I should always make time for this sort of thing. I had a really encouraging chat with Chris and Maureen, delicious coffee and cinnamon raisin bread. I left the Blake's feeling, like I always do, lighter and more at home.

-After teaching the Flipside (youth club) kids about God's goodness in creation, on a whim, I asked if any of them wanted to pray. One boy did, and he thanked God for "making everything and calling it good," asking, "help us to treat other people as God's good creation." It was awesome.

-Going on a late night Tesco run with a couple of the youth leaders after clubs on Friday. It's become a bit of a tradition to venture out together at 11PM to the open-all-night massive grocery store, and it's always an adventure. I love finding interesting foods I can't find in my tiny branch of Tesco near me. This time it was purple sprouting broccoli and oreccheitte pasta (which means "little ears"). Throw in some bacon, cream and onion and I've got one creative (and colorful) dinner!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Whitney - thank you for posting the little boy's prayer - it meant a lot to me today. Blessings to you - Lynn

Jessi said...

David had purple broccoli in the refectory one day. Let me tell you two things that don't mix: purple broccoli and the refectory. HA! I'm not going to jinx it or anything but I have a feeling a special package from the States might make on glimpses in the next couple days....

Whitney said...

Thanks, y'all!

I finally got around to cooking this and it was sooo yummy. I added in a little gouda to my cream sauce mmm.