Wednesday, April 18, 2007

winks and wisdom


-While I was checking out a woman at the bookstore, I told her the total price and she winked at me to affirm that she had heard me. I can honestly say I've never had that happen before. It added a little joy and silliness to my afternoon.

-The smoky smell of a candle lit for the first time.

-The Virginia Tech grad student who had also been a freshman at Columbine High School. She was interviewed by Meredith Viera, and spoke with such wisdom and courage. Her wisdom was expressed in her explanation of the grieving process. She said that, when thinking about the future after such a tragedy, you first think in minutes, then hours, then weeks. Her courage was expressed in her assertion that she had hesitated to participate in the interview because she feels the media does not help the healing process in such places. She said that anytime students gather to come together as a community after such violence, the media is always there. She told Meredith that the community sometimes needs space to grieve and heal.

No comments: