Monday, April 23, 2007

I Y NY!
How do I begin?? New York was amazing.

-Performing in the middle of Times Square (down the narrow street pictured above). Our first piece was the opening act of Project Dance--what an honor. We later discussed that we've never felt more freedom in our dancing than performing in the middle of the City, looking passers-by in the eye as we danced. It was so powerful.

-Walking across many, many crosswalks and noticing the quick pace of everyone's feet.

-The cultural experiences of Little Italy and Chinatown.

-Hailing a taxi in the middle of New York, and feeling like I blended right in (which I'm sure I didn't).

-Breakfast with Robin near Central Park at a quaint and brusque little place, where we enjoyed authentic, fabulous New York bagels and coffee and great conversation. I was thrilled that they put my coffee in the same bag as my bagel (just like Audrey Hepburn's in Breakfast at Tiffany's).

-Getting $20 tickets for RENT the musical!! We walked up to the theatre and asked for tickets for that night, which were $100 each, and then the man at the window said someone just returned 4 tickets for the 2:00 matinee, and that if we could make it, we could have them for $20 each. We ended up being on the second row in the middle. Rent is one of my favorite musicals, and was better on stage than I could've ever imagined. It was so surreal to be sitting in New York and hearing Seasons of Love sang so close to me that I literally got spit on. Honestly, I didn't mind.

-Watching the cars and people whiz by below us as we looked out from the balcony of the Novotel Hotel.

1 comment:

kareen said...

Ah, I love Rent too, although I've only seen the movie. Especially liked Seasons of Love and Light My Candle.:)