Thursday, April 26, 2012

flight of fancy

Goodness, y'all, I've been blogging m.i.a.!  Sorry.  Allow me to briefly sum up my week: dog + dark chocolate German truffles = bad news.  My little fella's doing much better now and it's been a full and good week of meetings, worship planning and visits.  

I do, though, want to share pictures from my day off last Friday.  Often my Sabbath day is spent doing laundry etc, but I decided it was time to venture out a bit.  Raleigh is only an hour away, so I took a mug of coffee and drove north to first have breakfast at Flying Biscuit there.  I loved Flying Biscuit in Atlanta and it tasted just as good as it used to.  

             
After an amazing breakfast (that was enough for 3 people), I went to the North Carolina Museum of Art.  What a delightful place!  And they let me take pictures, so I took a ton.  Get ready for your little art tour!  I do realize that I'm probably breaking some sort of copyright law posting all these pictures and not giving the names of the artist, but I just couldn't keep track of them all.  I was especially drawn to all of the religious art (imagine that).

Those Italians are pretty wonderful with color.  And I think it's the only one I've seen with a quilt-weilding angel behind the baby Jesus.



 I really love this portrait of Mary.


 First the quilting, now the Mona Lisa made entirely out of spools of thread!

 Poor ol' Joe.  Looks like he's a bit worn out.


 Pentecost.

 Luther hanging out with Unnamed German Theologian.

 A slightly cartoonish depiction of the Ascension (complete with creepy angel heads).


Get ready for more creepy heads, y'all.  Here's Mary....

 ...and her coat of many children.  Meant to be soothing, I think, but comes across bizarre.

 Just lovely.

 Joan of Arc.


An unnamed female martyr.

 Next, I viewed some African art which was colorful and beautiful...

 ...and some of it a little creepy.

A bit of more modern work: here, a photograph in Namibia.

 This might have been my favorite piece of all.  I just love the rich colors.

 Some paintings were very glitzy and detailed...

 ...and then there was this.  ??

 Close up of a folded canvas painting.



A Matisse-style dancer sculpture.  





 What a gorgeous day it was.



It's so much fun to explore new places.  Hope you've all had a wonderful week, or if it's not been so wonderful, I hope next week is better!



1 comment:

Heather T. said...

Gorgeous photos.

I don't take as many photos as you, but one thing I've started doing to help keep track of them is to take pictures of the signs near the objects, or buildings, or view or whatever, because I know later on I won't remember anything. That might not be helpful at all, but maybe it will.