Saturday, April 12, 2008

a backyard adventure

-A last morning at home before heading back to Atlanta. Lured by the light streaming in the french doors from the backyard, I took my coffee and walked around. I loved the light coming through the trees, and the cool morning breeze.


-The smell of honeysuckle. There's nothing like it. I'll never be too old to gingerly pull out the stamens to trap a delicious drop of honey to eat.

-This is Zulu. I know, he looks pretty mean, but he's actually quite friendly. Zulu is an African guinea that my parents own (mostly so he can eat all of the garden pests). I had a great time building trust with Zulu, and getting him to come closer and closer as I fed him. His face takes some getting used to, but his intricate grey and white spots are mesmerizing.

2 comments:

Gareth said...

How on earth did 'Zulu' get all the way over to Texas? Guinea fowls are some of my favourite birds. Saw some this weekend on a retreat actually.

There's a honeysuckle plant on my walk from the hospital to the station - i pick the flowers and try get teh nectar too!

Hope you travel back to Atl safely.

Whitney said...

I have no idea how Zulu got here...must ask the 'rents! He's really cool. Hope CPE is going well. I'm sure yours is as exhausting as mine was. Hang in there. Hope life is good for ya.