Wednesday, December 16, 2009

(star)tling

-Standing outside the church and seeing, shockingly with only a handful of stars in the sky, a shooting star. I yelped and hopped a little, pointing to the sky. A few seconds later, Chris did the same because he saw one too. What are the chances?

-A perfect iPod shuffle on my walk to work. First, songs from The Mission* by Ennio Morricone, which are heartbreakingly beautiful. Then, Viva la Vida by Coldplay came on, with a line about "missionaries in a foreign field" that always made me smile. Finally, a song by Duke Special, my favorite Belfast musician came on.

-Coming home at 8:30 absolutely exhausted ("knackered" as they'd say here) and starving from Christmas shopping. I was craving spaghetti and find cooking so therapeutic, so as I cooked onions, bacon, garlic and mushrooms mingled with wine, tomatoes and basil, I relaxed. Sitting down with a big bowl of fragrant, delicious spaghetti was wonderful.
------------------
*If you haven't seen The Mission, you really should. It's a haunting story of colonial mission in Paraguay and portrays the terrible things people have done in the name of God and mission, like slavery and genocide. But, it also portrays the power of redemption and the human spirit. The soundtrack is by Ennio Morricone and makes the film what it is.

1 comment:

Party of Five said...

Hello Sista.

Some of us are not cool (and don't own ipods) and actually listen to cd's! (or in your case, vinyl)

I was playing Ennio's masterpiece just this morning in my car! No music will ever compare...breathtaking. Out of Africa is a close second :) LOVE U